Since SSA was founded in 1989, sustainability and environmental sensitivity has been a core goal for all projects. In every project we look for ways to incorporate time tested principles, as well as to challenge our clients and design team to look for new and innovative ways to add sustainability. A few of the ways we incorporate sustainable design into our projects include:
- using permeable paving in parking lots or trails;
- utilizing drip irrigation and a centralized irrigation control that can reduce water consumption by 50% over traditional methods;
- utilizing low impact design principles in storm drainage design through the use of bioswales, bioretention-detention and bioremediation;
- rainwater harvesting, grey water recycling or recycled wastewater for irrigation use;
- repurposing materials from the site or from other projects;
- use of recycled materials including wood, asphalt and concrete, plastic bottles, aluminum or steel;
- use of native and other drought tolerant plants.
We work with every client to determine their goals, whether it be to obtain LEED certification for their project or just to do what they can to help the environment.